Scholarship GUIDELINES & Application form
Scholarship Award Details:
- One $5,000 scholarship and two $2,500 scholarships will be awarded annually. (The number and amount of the scholarships available will be dependent on annual funding.)
- The scholarships awarded are to be used to assist in covering tuition, fees, books, supplies, etc. when going to a college, university, or trade school while having Cystic Fibrosis.
- No award will be paid to the recipient. All awards will be paid directly to the college, university, or trade school of choice.
- There is no limit on the number of years a person may apply, but the scholarships must be applied for on an annual basis to be considered.
- An individual can only be awarded a maximum of four scholarships.
- No special consideration will be given to previous recipients.
- Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have Cystic Fibrosis. You must submit a doctor's note on the doctor’s letterhead stationery indicating confirmation of your CF diagnosis and have the doctor sign it.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen. Examples of acceptable documentation include: an official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, a U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport, or a U.S. certificate of birth abroad.
- Applicants must be a resident of the Central United States. You must reside in one of the following states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, or Alabama.
- Applicants must be enrolled in or accepted to an accredited junior college, college, university, or trade school. Yyou must submit proof of admission, acceptance, or enrollment. (Incoming college freshmen must supply an official high school transcript and a copy of the acceptance letter or confirmation of enrollment from your college, university, or trade school. Current college or university students must supply an official transcript and confirmation of enrollment from your college, university, or trade school.)
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.70 on a 4.00 scale and must be in good academic standing and not currently on academic warning or probation.
- Applicants must submit a recent photo, in JPG format, of themselves for identification purposes.
Letters of Recommendation:
- Please provide THREE letters of recommendation:
- One from a Healthcare Team Member. (Any physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or any certified practitioner directly involved in treating your CF.)
- One from a School Official. (Any employee of the school in which you are enrolled. This includes, but is not limited to, teachers, special-interest group leaders, or coaches.)
- One from a Community Member. (Someone whom you know well, such as an athletic instructor or coach, work supervisor, pastor, or another person you know from your community involvement such as your Boy Scout/Girl Scout leader.)
- Write an essay telling us about yourself, your future goals and aspirations, and your educational goals. The essay helps the Selection Committee learn more about the applicant in a broader, more informal way.
- How has your medical condition and treatment affected your life?
- How you have accomplished something in spite of your Cystic Fibrosis? Something where CF should have or could have been the obstacle to your success.
- How continuing your education will benefit your future?
- Please provide any additional information you may want the committee to consider in evaluating your application.
- Scholarship winners are determined solely by the Selection Committee and all decisions of the Selection Committee are final.
- In selecting the applicant, the selection committee will take into consideration each applicant’s scholastic record, school activities, leadership, and community service.
- Awards are primarily merit-based, but financial needs will be considered as well.
- The applicant is encouraged to include a copy of their current FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or other statements of need with their application package.
- In the absence of a statement of need, the Selection Committee will assume that the applicant does not wish to have their financial situation considered in the award process.
- Please read these instructions carefully. If you have any questions, please e-mail the Scholarship Administrator at: admin@JmeBax.org.
- The application and all listed submission materials must be included for the application to be reviewed. If there are items that are not relevant to you, please write N/A.
- Please verify that ALL sections of the application are filled out.
- Incomplete or late applications will NOT be considered - nor will any material be returned.
- Your parent or legal guardian must also sign if you are under the age of 18.
- Please submit your completed application, along with all required submission materials, to the Selection Committee at: admin@JmeBax.org. A confirmation email will be sent after the receipt of your application.
- All material must be sent in PDF format only - NO DOCs, JPGs, etc.
- Please redact any social security and/or driver’s license numbers from your documents before sending them.
- The photo submitted of the applicant must be sent in JPG format only. Please NO PDFs.
- The application packet must be received by the Selection Committee no earlier than Jan. 1st and no later than May 1st.
- All applicants will be notified by June 1st if they were recipients or not of a scholarship award.
- The Jamie Bax Memorial Scholarship is not responsible for any technical issues which prevent applications from being submitted or considered.